These Guidelines set forth standards that govern Azhizhi’s relationship with its advertising partners and the relationship between editorial and advertising content. The overriding consideration is that Azhizhi must maintain its editorial integrity and the trust of its readers. We believe that establishing, publicly displaying, and adhering to these Guidelines is important to protect the trust and transparency that should exist between a publication, its readers, and its advertisers.
We also recognize that no set of Guidelines can address every situation or issue that may arise in the course of doing business, especially given the pace of change within the media industry. Accordingly, we anticipate that these guidelines will be revisited and updated from time to time. In particular, we will remain teachable and open to suggestions, criticism, and correction from our readers and other interested parties.
GENERAL ADVERTISING GUIDELINES
The Guidelines in the following section apply to all advertisements and sponsor content served by or appearing in the print publications of Azhizhi and its Digital Properties, which include azhizhi.com, www.azhizhi.com, and all related mobile and app extensions. (hereinafter “Azhizhi”), including ads purchased under AAAA/IAB Standard Terms and Conditions.
- Azhizhi will not allow any relationship with an advertiser to compromise Azhizhi’s editorial integrity.
- All advertising content must be clearly distinguishable from editorial content. To that end, Azhizhi will label an advertisement with the word “Advertisement” or “Sponsored” when, in its opinion, this is necessary to make clear the distinction between editorial material and advertising.
- Advertisers are responsible for ensuring that their ads are adequately substantiated and comply with all applicable laws, regulations, and guidelines. While the content of advertising does not necessarily reflect the views of Azhizhi or its editors, if it comes to the attention of Azhizhi that an ad, in our opinion, contains demonstrably false or unlawful content, Azhizhi will refuse or remove the ad in whole or in part.
- Azhizhi may exercise its discretion to refuse or remove any advertising that is inconsistent with or may tend to bring disparagement, harm to reputation, or other damage to Azhizhi’s brand.
- Although Azhizhi will evaluate whether to work with advertisers on a case-by-case basis, some examples of advertising. Azhizhi will not accept are the following:
- Advertising that Azhizhi believes, in its opinion, is indecent, vulgar, suggestive, profane, or offensive.
- Advertising for illegal products or services, including drugs, illegal substances, or any related products or services.
- Advertising that Azhizhi believes includes hateful or violent text advocating against any individual, group, or organization.
- Advertising that Azhizhi determines to be inflammatory.
- Advertising that Azhizhi determines represents a personal attack against an individual, country, or organization.
- Advertising that Azhizhi believes will undermine the intellectual integrity, authority, and character of its mission and brand.
All determinations of the application of the foregoing standards to particular advertisements or advertisers shall be within the sole discretion of Azhizhi’s business-side staff. Azhizhi’s editors will not be involved in deciding whether to accept or reject specific advertisers.
- Azhizhi may remove advertising content at any time if such content is inconsistent with the policies described herein, with or without prior notice to the advertising client and regardless of whether the advertising content has been accepted or displayed within Azhizhi for any period of time.
SPONSOR CONTENT GUIDELINES
The guidelines in the following section shall apply to all Sponsor Content served by or appearing in the print and digital publications of Azhizhi, including ads purchased under AAAA/IAB Standard Terms and Conditions. (These are in addition to the general guidelines for advertising content that appear above, which applies to Sponsor Content as well).
- Sponsor Content is content created or commissioned by advertisers in collaboration with Azhizhi’s marketing team (“Azhizhi Marketing”). Azhizhi allows Sponsor Content in two forms: (1) Content produced by Azhizhi Marketing as commissioned by its advertising partners and (2) Content produced by advertisers.
- As with all advertising, Sponsor Content does not necessarily reflect the views and choices of Azhizhi’s editors. Accordingly, Azhizhi will prominently display the following disclaimer on all Sponsor Content: ‘SPONSOR CONTENT.’ Azhizhi will include a disclaimer on all Sponsor Content that notes the involvement or non-involvement of Azhizhi’s editorial staff in curating or creating the Content and clarifies that the Content is made possible by a Sponsor. Azhizhi may additionally include, in certain areas and platforms, further explanation defining Sponsor Content to Azhizhi readers. In addition, Azhizhi will ensure the treatment and design of Advertising and Sponsor Content is clearly differentiated from its editorial content.
- Azhizhi does not require that Sponsor Content steer clear of controversy. Indeed, we expect that Sponsor Content, like our own editorial content, will sometimes address contested issues and will be written with a distinct point of view. That said, even with the caveat that Sponsor Content does not necessarily reflect the views of Azhizhi or its editors, Azhizhi will refuse publication of such content that, in its own judgment, would undermine the intellectual integrity, authority, and character of our enterprise.
- As with all advertising, and consistent with the foregoing General Advertising Guidelines, Azhizhi may reject or remove any Sponsor Content at any time that contains false, deceptive, potentially misleading, or illegal content; is inconsistent with or may tend to bring disparagement, harm to reputation, or other damage to Azhizhi’s brand.
- Azhizhi may, at the Sponsor’s direction, enable readers to comment on Sponsor Content on Azhizhi’s sites. If comment functionality is enabled on Sponsor Content, the sponsor will not have any role in moderating such comments. The only moderation of such comments will be performed by Azhizhi employees who implement Azhizhi’s generally applicable Terms and Conditions (https://azhizhi.com/terms-and-conditions/)—which prohibit spam, obscenity, hate speech, and similar content—elsewhere on the site.